Wednesday, February 9, 2011

The Beauty of "FREE"

I went garage sale-ing one glorious fall day with my sister and came across this beauty emblazoned with a single-worded sign: "FREE". The owners had tried their hand at "refinishing" this antique piece with wood filler and laytex spray paint and then gave up. They said they were tired of looking at it and just wanted to get rid of it! I was up for a challenge and I couldn't resist the price tag, so I took it.


After much sanding and multiple rounds of paint/stain stripper I had a pristine blank canvas.


A reddish mahogany stain finished off this beauty. I added some brass knobs (until I can find some original hardware) and introduced it to it's new home- my bedroom. I have loved this piece and put about $50 into it's restoration. I applied two coats of antique furniture oil which gives it a nice semi-gloss sheen.

I couldn't be more pleased with the outcome and now have a piece to enjoy for years and years!

No comments:

Post a Comment